Friday, 17 July 2009

Exminster / Exanmynster: Place in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series ****



Exminster is a village situated on the southern edge of the City of Exeter on the western side of the Exeter ship canal and River Exe in the county of Devon, England. It is around 6 km (3 miles) south of the centre of Exeter, and has a population of 3,084 (census 2001). The rare Cirl Bunting can be found here. Exminster Marshes, to the east of the village, are a major site for birds, especially migratory ones.
Landmarks

Part of Devington Park.


On a hill overlooking the Exe estuary at the north-west side of the village is the former Devon County Asylum (a "lunatic asylum") which was designed by Charles Fowler and opened in July 1845. It featured a central administration block with six radiating arms and had a capacity of around 800 beds. The hospital closed in the mid-eighties when it was known as Exminster Hospital. After years of neglect, the surrounding land was developed for housing and the grade II listed hospital was converted to apartments and town houses and is now known as Devington Park.
Exminster railway station, now a reclamation yard open to the public.Exminster railway station was opened by George Hennet on behalf of the South Devon Railway in 1852. It was closed to passenger traffic on 30 March 1964 and to goods on 4 December 1967, but its distinctive building still stands next to the railway line. The signal box remained standing on the site until September 2006 but has now been removed for preservation to Broadway, Worcestershire

No comments:

Post a Comment