Sunday, 19 July 2009

Wroughton /Ellendune, Wiltshire


Wroughton is a large village in Wiltshire in the South West England region of the UK. It is part of the Borough of Swindon and is 4 miles (6 km) southeast of Swindon. The older name for the village is Ellendune (Ellendun).







Swindon, DJ Tower Block


History

Barbury Hill

The earliest evidence of human presence in the area is from the Mesolithic period, although this is fairly limited. More significant evidence of settlement and occupation in the area is available for the Neolithic period, most notably due to the extensive ritual complex at Avebury (6 miles to the south) and scattered finds in the locality. The earliest archaeological evidence from within Wroughton dates from the Roman period (AD 43-410), showing a period of intensive settlement and farming in the area. Occupation of the area continued into the early Middle Ages (AD 410-1066) when two battles are understood to have taken place in the area: Breahburh (AD 567), thought to have been fought by Ceawlin of Wessex on the slopes of Barbury Hill, and Ellandun(AD 825) at Elcombe Hall. Burial sites in the vicinity are believed to be associated with these battles.
Until the 19th century it was nothing but a mere country village. Wroughton is most prominent for its connection to The Ridgeway (which its secondary school is named after), a National Trail which is often related to the ancient Uffington White Horse.
In 1874, the village celebrated for two days after the horse George Frederick which was stabled in the High Street, won the Epsom Derby. The horse and its trainer, Tom Leader, who was born in Wroughton, were escorted from Swindon railway station by a brass band and received in the village which had declared all of its pubs to be open houses and provided free beer for the occasion

No comments:

Post a Comment